Pages

Thursday 5 January 2012

A peppery breakfast

Open-faced pepper omelette
I can admit here that I am a health nut when it comes to food. But let's turn away from the nutritional analysis of this meal for a moment. The fiery, sunshiny colours of the peppers and the sun-ripen taste of the tomato paste are enough to warm up my gloomy winter day. It's not exactly a million-dollar breakfast in a French restaurant but it's enough for a student like me.

Recipe (in case you're interested): I put the small non-stick skillet on medium heat and pour a very thin layer of liquid egg whites to coat the bottom. After a minute I dollop small spoonfuls of tomato paste on top of the egg white layer, now cooked. Another minute later, I scatter sliced, fresh bell peppers, a handful of mozzarella, and some black pepper and dried oregano. I cover the skillet, turn off the heat and take a minute to clear my cutting board and stash the rest of my tomato paste away. Finally, I return to the skillet, gently loosen the egg from the pan and slide the entire assembly onto my plate. Breakfast is served.

No comments:

Post a Comment