Pages

Sunday 15 January 2012

Swept up a quiche

I had a variety of leftovers at the end of last week and a few bags of new groceries sitting patiently on my front porch waiting to be placed in the fridge. My family and I have been using the front porch as a giant walk-in refrigerator until last week, when the temperature finally started to drop below 0 degrees (Celsius). Now we use it as a giant freezer instead. So the little boxes of groceries and leftovers we'd been stashing in our 'natural fridge' had to move inside and while we refilled those boxes outside with frozen food. Of course, our indoor fridge wasn't nearly big enough to hold everything so we had a day of creative usage of leftovers. This quiche is one way to sweep many leftovers into one dish.

The quiche
The recipe (in case you were curious): I stirred a bowl (about a cup) of cooked brown rice, 2 tbsp of whole wheat flour, 1 tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp salt and 2 egg whites together and spread it in an even layer at the bottom of a 8 inch non-stick round pie tin. I baked that in a 325 F oven for about 30 minutes, until the surface has turned light brown. Meanwhile, I gather the rest of my leftovers: about a cup of sauteed onions, 1/2 of a bell pepper, and a handful of enoki mushrooms. I cut and sliced everything into similar sized pieces and tossed them together with half a carton of liquid eggs. Because it didn't look quite enough to fill the pie tin, I also sliced half an apple into thin slices and added those into the bowl as well. I added a dash of salt, a pinch of pepper and a sprinkle of dried thyme and gave it a stir. When the crust was baked, I lined it with a layer of fat free sandwich cheese and poured my leftover mixture over it. I slid the tin back into the oven and baked for another 30 minutes. I let the egg settle and cool for 10 minutes in the tin before slicing and serving.

This obviously isn't a strict recipe because you can use almost any leftovers (or fresh ingredients) in the filling as long as you think you'll like the combined flavours!

No comments:

Post a Comment