Pages

Sunday 17 June 2012

Potato and mung bean biscuits

Toasted peeled mung beans
I recently watched a video clip of someone rubbing mashed potatoes into a bowl of flour as if rubbing butter into flour to make a pastry dough. I'd tried combining potatoes and flour into a dough before (as if making gnocchi) and rolling it out and baking it, but inevitably, the finished product always puffs up and becomes chewy. This time, I kept the recipe simple and added ground, toasted mung beans. The crackers are crispy but tender, and taste a little like baked potatoes.

The recipe: I boil 3 small baking potatoes with skin on, and peel them when they are cooked to fork tender and cooled. I grate the potatoes into a large bowl, crack in an egg, add 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp salt and mix until combined. I toast 3/4 cup peeled mung beans in a 300 F oven for about 8 minutes or until the beans at the very side begin to turn golden brown. I grind the toasted mung beans using a coffee grinder to make mung bean flour, add to the potatoes and mix to combine to create a soft potato dough. Finally, I stir 1 tsp baking powder into 1/4 cup whole wheat flour and add the flour to the potato  dough. I knead the dough until the flour is incorporated. I roll the dough to about 1/8 inch thick, cut into desired shapes using a pastry wheel, and place on a lined baking sheet. I sprinkle some sugar on top of the biscuits for a glittery look and bake in a 325 F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until biscuits are crisp. Place on a cooling rack until cooled before enjoying.

I also used part of the dough into a pie tin for my cranberry cheesecake tart but I'll tell you about that one in a later post!

No comments:

Post a Comment